Serves 2 People
- 1/2 onion (chopped small)
- 1 can of black beans, well-drained
- 2 slices of Vegan bread (crumbled)
- 1/2 Tsp. seasoned salt (regular salt is fine, too, but the seasoned salt provides a ton of extra flavor)
- 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tsp. onion powder
- 125g Flour
- Pinch of salt (or to taste)
- Pinch of pepper (or to taste)
- Olive Oil for frying
- Sautee the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth.
- Add the sauteed onions to the beans, along with the crumbled bread, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder, mixing to combine well. Then, add the flour a few tablespoons at a time and mix to combine well. Your veggie burger mixture will be very thick (you may want to use your hands to work the flour in well).
- Form the black bean mixture into individual patties, approximately ½ inch thick. The best way to do this is to roll a handful into a ball, then gently flatten it.
- Finally, fry your black bean patties in a small amount of oil over medium-low heat until slightly firm and lightly browned on each side, about 3 minutes.
- If your pan is too hot, your bean burgers will brown too quickly and not be heated through and cooked in the middle, so adjust the heat as needed.
- Assemble your veggie burgers and enjoy with all the fixings, or, eat them on a plate with a fork and a knife and ketchup – they’re perfect for doing just that.