A plant based snickers bar ?! That’s right, these easy Vegan and Gluten Free chocolate bars taste almost like snickers, but the recipe is made with only 6 plant based ingredients ! Made to crave any sweet tooth, these bars vegan bars are super easy to make with a GF oat base, soft date caramel layer and dark chocolate coating. Have them as a post workout treat or any time your feeling those naughty dessert cravings.
Serves: x8 Bars
Nutrition per Truffle: kcal: 240kcal
85g Oat Flour
60g Date Caramel, above
20g vegan protein powder(I recommend using a vanilla/caramel flavoured one)
A pinch of salt
70g Dry Roasted Peanuts (I used Salted)
4 oz Vegan Chocolate (see notes for options)
2 tsp coconut oil
- Remove the pits from the Medjool Dates and transfer the Dates to a larger bowl and cover with hot water. Soak the Dates for 10 minutes.
- If you do not have Oat Flour, make some by blending a scant ⅔ of Rolled Oats in a Blender for 45-60 seconds until smooth and fluffy.
- Drain any excess liquid off of the Medjool Dates and add them to a food processor or high speed blender with the remaining ingredients for the Caramel. Blend until thick and smooth.
- Remove the Date “Caramel” from the food processor. Add the Oat Flour to the mixing bowl add ¼ of the Date Caramel and stir until well incorporated. This should form a slightly sticky “dough” that will hold together.
- Firmly and evenly press the Oat Flour Nougat into a loaf pan.
- Use a spatula to spread the remaining Date Caramel evenly over the Nougat, then add the Roasted Peanut over the Caramel. Use your fingers to press the Peanuts into the Caramel layer, so they stick.
- Place this in the freezer for 60-90 minutes, until firm.
- Remove from freezer and cut it into 8 bar-sized pieces or 16 small bites bars.
- Melt your chocolate in the the microwave ( 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between). Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the melted coconut oil and mix completely smooth.
- Place 1 candy bar into the bowl of melted chocolate. Use two forks to “flip” the bar, until it is coated in chocolate on all sides, let any excess chocolate drip off. Then, place it onto a plate lined with parchment paper or cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining bars.
- Place the bars in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes, to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Serve and enjoy!
- For the nougat layer, I recommend sticking with blended rolled oats. If you don’t have any, quick oats will also work.
- If your dates are quite dry and hard, you may need to add moisture while processing the nougat and/or caramel ingredients. To do this, simply add 1-2 tbsp water as needed.
- Is a full candy bar too much for you? Instead of slicing the snickers block into 8 full-sized bars, chop them crosswise to create 16 smaller candy bars.
- Keep the vegan snickers bars stored in the refrigerator or freezer. They will be softer in the refrigerator and chewier in the freezer. You can’t go wrong with either option!