Life is too short to miss out on the warm embrace of a sweet cinnamon bun, so we’ve created a luxurious recipe for vegan protein cinnamon buns for all our dairy-free friends to enjoy.
Whether for breakfast or a post-workout treat, these home-style classics are the perfect way to embrace the upcoming festive season. To top it all off , they’re also refined sugar free , sweetened with a little coconut sugar!
So maybe you could tuck into more than just one…
Serves: 10 Servings
3 scoops Vanilla Vegan Wondershake
320ml coconut milk
1/3 cup softened coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
7g easy bake yeast
Tsp apple cider vinegar
3 1/2 cups strong white flour
Pinch sea salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp smooth nut butter
3 tbsp agave syrup
2 tbsp coconut sugar & 3/4 tsp
cinnamon mixed together
1 scoop Vanilla Vegan Wondershake
Almond milk- as needed
1. To begin making your cinnamon roll dough, start by combining the apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice would also work) and coconut milk together, then set aside for a few minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, coconut sugar, vanilla protein powder, salt, yeast and spices. Gently heat the milk to a lukewarm temperature. Add the coconut oil and warmed milk into your mixing bowl and carefully fold the wet and dry ingredients together.
3. Use your hands to bring the dough together and kneed for a few minutes to create a smooth, elastic texture.
4. Place your ball of dough into a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for around an hour.
5. Meanwhile, mix together the nut butter and agave syrup for the filling, then set aside. If you feel this is a little too thick, add a dash of almond milk and continue mixing.
6. Once your dough has roughly doubled in size, knock back the dough and kneed for 30 seconds, before rolling out onto a lightly floured surface. You want to create a large rectangular shape approximately 1/8th inch in thickness.
7. Spread the filling over the dough and scatter the cinnamon sugar throughout.
8. Start with one of the longest edges nearest to you and carefully roll the dough away from you. Once firmly rolled, slice into around 10 pieces and place these into a pre-lined baking dish. Cover this with cling film and leave to prove for an additional 45 minutes.
9. Place your cinnamon rolls into the oven to bake for around 30 minutes, until golden, then remove from the oven and allow to cool.
10. Gradually drizzle the almond milk into the protein powder whilst mixing, until you reach a smooth, pourable consistency. Spread the icing over the slightly warm cinnamon buns and serve!