Say hello to a recipe for pumpkin spice protein pancakes! This recipe is perfect as we go into autumn and start craving all things cinnamon, spice, and pumpkin.
1 can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup vanilla whey protein powder
1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten free or regular)
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Blend all your ingredients together until you get a relatively smooth batter. Don’t be put off by the fact that it looks like baby food.
2. Heat up a nonstick pan with some coconut oil or low-calorie spray. IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST use a good quality nonstick pan. You know, one that is actually nonstick. They’re really cheap for what they are and the secret to creating amazing (+/- protein) pancakes!
3. Once your pan is sizzling hot, spoon ‘pancake shapes’ of your batter onto it and turn your heat down a notch. To give you an idea, dump the mixture on the pan when it was at 6/6 and then had the pan at 5/6 the rest of the time.
4. Here’s a really important part: patience. The pancakes are really moist and thick so you have to give them time to cook before you attempt (carefully) flipping them. If you try to flip them too soon, you’ll get a mush – we don’t want that. We suggest you make small pancakes to begin with as these will be a lot easier to flip. Also, if you feel like adding some coconut oil to your pan as the pancakes are cooking, go for it. This makes the pan sizzle up and the sides of the pancakes cook faster.
5. Once your first batch of pancakes is ready, repeat steps 3 and 4 until you get through the rest of the batter.
6. Finally, top the pancakes with syrup, nut butter, or fruit.
Macros for all pancakes (which feed two)
444kcals, 9g fat, 43g protein (out of which 18g is fibre) and 43g protein.