Welcome to the fourth guest post by the wonderful Sanna from Tasty-Health.Se! As I said when I published her Gingerbread Protein Fudge, Sanna is now a monthly contributor to Protein Pow and it’s an honor to have her featuring exclusive recipes here because her food is fantastic! It’s healthy, protein-packed, creative, and absolutely delicious 😀 I know it because I tried it first hand at the Protein Pow Cooking Workshop I ran in Stockholm last year (here’s Sanna’s first guest recipe and a brief summary of that workshop). Sanna is also a personal trainer and figure competitor so, in addition to containing lots of recipes, her blog features a wealth fitness tips and chronicles her training journey to and from the stage. So yeah! Make sure you check out Sanna’s blog (it’s in Swedish, yes, but you can translate it all into English by using google translate). But, OK, enough from me; mic over to Sanna and lights over to these cupcakes!
Sweden (my home country) is famous for our cinnamon rolls and Swedish meatballs but we don’t really have a tradition of making cupcakes…what a shame! The ones we do have are usually the American kind found in coffee shops, you know, the ones that are gigantic 😉 I lived in the States for a few years and fell in love with the lemon poppy seed cupcakes founds in the bakery next door. I haven’t been able to come up with a recipe that tastes even close to them (hello!…they were filled with butter, white flour and sugar??!!) but I’m very happy with this recipe. Nice subtle lemon flavor with a nice crunch from the pistachios. I hope you like them
½ cup + ¼ cup oat flour (you can make your own by grinding oats in a food processor)
2 scoops vanilla whey
1 tablespoon coconut flour
2.5 tablespoons granulated sweetener (like Truvia or similar)
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
Zest from 1 medium lemon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup milk choice (I used cows milk)
2 egg whites
¼ cup pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 375F/175C.
2. Put everything (except the pistachios) in a bowl and use a handmixer to make a smooth batter (or use a blender).
3. Chop pistachios and add them to the batter.
4. Pop in the oven and bake for about 15-18 min. Don’t overcook them! If you do, they will be hard and dry so take them out a bit early so they’re moist and gooey
5. For the frosting, just mix all ingredients in a bowl. Cut a tiny hole in a plastic bag, fill the bag with the frosting and squeeze gently to decorate the cupcakes. Anna has a great video of how to make frosting…..you can watch it here.
Macros per cupcake without frosting:
7.5 g protein
8.9 g carbs
2.6 g fat
per 1 cupcake with frosting:
10 g protein
9.4 g carbs
2.8 g fat