Some foods ought to come with a warning label. With maybe ‘proceed with caution’ or an ‘M’ for moreish. For example these chocolate whey protein bars with beetroot!
These delicious bars will create a orchestra of flavours in your mouth, so try not to eat them in under 60 seconds! This bar consists of silk smooth dark chocolate, and a creamy centre ooze from the peanut butter.
Below you’ll find the recipe. Try not to freak out at the first ingredient or at least raise an eyebrow. It makes the filling really velvety in texture and oh-so-smooth. It also balances the rest of the flavours to perfection.
1 small cooked beetroot (see the Note below for subs)
1/2 cup a great tasting chocolate whey protein powder
4 tablespoons coconut flour
1-2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 tablespoon flavour drops
1/4 cup almond milk
3 tablesoons 100% cocoa powder
4 squares 90% dark chocolate
1. make the filling mix by mixing all the above ingredients (except for the chocolate) in a big bowl. Then, shape the mix into four bars.
2. Melt your dark chocolate in a bain marie (i.e. a glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water).
3. Once the chocolate has melted, dip your bars in there.
4. Transfer your bars to the fridge for a couple of hours or the freezer for 30 mins until the chocolate coating has set.
5. Munch or, if you plan to eat them later, wrap them in foil and put them in the fridge (or in your bag when you step out the door!)
Macros per bar (out of 4):
213kcals, 16g protein, 10g carbs (out of which a whooping 6g is fibre!), 11g fat
Note: If you hate hate hate beetroot, you can still follow this recipe – just use a cooked small sweet potato instead! Or even some pumpkin puree or 1/2 an avocado.
No Comments yet!