Apple crumble is the perfect treat to satisfy a sweet tooth! This recipe has a extreme simplicity that produces so many mouth watering flavours combined with a crumbly texture, all whilst delivering a hefty punch of protein. Not only that, this recipe is both gluten-free and sugar-free, making it the perfect dessert!
250 g quark (See Note 1)
1/4 cup whey protein powder
1-2 apples (2 small/1 medium)
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 tbsp slivered almonds
1/2 tsp vanilla pods (shaved)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut flakes
1/2 tsp Allspice
1. Mix the quark with the whey until you get a creamy pudding-type-mixture. Put this in a container and stick it in the freezer for an hour or longer if you want more of an ice-cream.
2. Peel, slice, and steam your apple/s. You can leave the skin on too, especially if you want the extra texture!
3. Fry the coconut, spices, and almonds at a high heat on a (dry) non-stick pan. Mix them around with a wooden spoon so they don’t burn. You basically just want them to brown a little and toast-up
4. In two little bowls, add the apples, then 1/2 of the quark and whey mix, then 1/2 of the crumble mix, then the rest of the quark and whey mix and after that the second 1/2 of the crumble mix.
5. Top the whole thing with cinnamon.
Note 1: There’s often come confusion around quark. Quark is just a type of really low fat cream cheese that’s fairly common.
You can find quark at some stores and amazon.com stocks but to be honest don’t worry about using quark if you can’t find it. Instead, use low-fat cream cheese or even blended cottage cheese (blended because you want to get rid of any lumps in the cheese).
Note 2: This apple crumble isn’t really SUPER low-carb. That’s because of the apple! Which is hard to avoid when you’re making apple crumble. Compared to ‘regular’ apple crumble though (which is pretty much ALL sugar and fat) this one’s pretty low carb.
Whey Protein 360 Extreme
Loaded Protein Pancakes
Protein Brownie Mix
What is allspice?
And i can’t find in the recipe where the allspice and the vanilla shaved pods goes in on what moment and in what ( quark or the coconut baked thing ) thank you 🙂
Allspice is a spice (see http://amzn.to/15Bd0m0) but you can sub it with another if you want, e.g. a combo of ground cloves, ground ginger, ground nutmeg?
The spices go in with the buts and coconut – sorry, will make that clearer now 😀
Looks awesome! Any chance you have the macros for this?
Uhhh…. They’re right there?
Pingback: Oreo-Inspired Protein Cookies (Vegan & Gluten-Free) › Protein Pow
Oh, wow, this was amazing! Doubled the recipe and used an 8×8 pan. Used cottage cheese instead of quark. And I totally love appley stuff, so I used twice what the recipe called for. I wonder how a mixture of casein and whey would work…? This was so good – it’ll definitely be my go-to recipe for apples!