This Dark Chocolate Whey Protein Bar recipe is perfect if you’re after a rich indulgent treat, while getting a protein boost!
1/4 cup whey protein powder (chocolate or unflavoured)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3-4 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup canned (cooked, drained, and unsalted) black beans
5 squares (50g) dark chocolate (anything over 65% would be great)
1. Chuck all of the above ingredients in a food processor, all of them except for the dark chocolate.
2. Blend them all together until you get a smooth dough. Taste to ensure it’s sweet enough. If it isn’t, add a bit more coconut sugar or your sweetener of choice (e.g. sucralose, stevia, or a bit of honey).
3. Shape this dough into 5-6 bars. If your mix is too wet to allow you to shape it into bars, add a bit more cocoa powder under you get to the right consistency.
4. Melt your dark chocolate in a glass bowl above a pot of boiling water and, once melted, pour the chocolate onto the bars – first coating one side and then the other.
5. Place the chocolate-coated bars on a tray lined with foil or non-stick baking paper.
6. Pop the bars in the fridge for a couple of hours or the freezer for 30 minutes so the chocolate coating sets and… they’re ready to enjoy!
Macros per bar (out of six medium/small ones): 156 kcals, 11 g protein, 8 g carbs (out of which 7 g is fibre) and 8 g fat.
The beans are absolutely brilliant in these bars. Seriously. Let go of any apprehension you may have about them. They’re amazing. As shown below..
1. Black beans are packed full of phytonutrients, fibre, minerals and vitamins
2. They’re high in protein.
3. They’re naturally gluten-free.
4. They create a DELICIOUS texture to protein bars (and cakes and brownies!)
5. You can’t taste the beans at all.
6. They go INCREDIBLY well with chocolate!
7. They’re a great way to bring your kcals and fats down.
8. Using beans in your bars enables you to make them nut-free!