Winter is on the way and the warm, comfort food cravings are starting to appear. This recipe creates a spicy, zesty apple mixture with a crunchy, oat crumble to top it off. The perfect Winter warmer…
Serves 5 People
Carbohydrates: 38g per serving Proteins: 3g Per serving Fats: 11g Per serving Calories: 298
- 6 Apples – cubed
- 2-3tsp Mixed Spice – I used a combination of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice etc.
- 120g Pure Fine Oats – if you want extra ‘winter warmth’ use the Apple and Cinnamon Flavour
- 50g Rolled Oats
- 2 1/2 scoops TPW Whey Protein 80 – use Vanilla or Apple and Cinnamon for additional winter vibes
- 2tbsp Palm Sugar
- 20g Organic Butter – ensure it is soft but NOT melted
- 3tbsp Organic/Local Honey
- 2tbsp good quality Jamaican Rum – optional, adds a little flavour kick
How to Make
- Preheat oven to 180C/200C (fan/conventional) and select an appropriate sized ovenproof dish.
- Throw apples in ovenproof dish, add mixed spice and toss until well coated.
- In a mixing bowl add the TPW Pure Fine Oats, the rolled oats, palm sugar and the TPW Whey.
- Add the butter and using your fingers, mix through the dry mixture.
- Next, drizzle the honey evenly over the surface and use a knife to ‘thread‘ the honey through the mixture until little ‘breadcrumb‘ like clusters begin to form – you can also use a food processor which is also just as effective.
- If more honey is required, add a tbsp at a time.
- Add the rum (if using) to the apples, top with the crumble mixture and place in the oven for around 30-40 minutes, until topping is golden and crisp – check after 20 minutes or so, if the topping starts to brown too quickly, cover the dish with tin foil to prevent burning.
To make this Winter warmer even better, try adding a healthy custard substitute. Simply add almond milk to Micellar Casein until it becomes a runny paste.