When it comes to biceps, they may not be the biggest or strongest parts but you know they are “Show off “ muscles.
Do you go to the gym? And to answer this question, you flex your biceps. Right?
You might not even know how many inches your chest is but for biceps , you flaunt it by telling its 18” now 😉
Lets train out guns with these best 6 moves. Scroll below for more information.
The biceps also known as Biceps Brachii , is a muscle on the front part of the upper arm. The biceps includes a “short head” and a “long head” that work as a single muscle.
Biceps Brachii are connected to elbows as well as shoulders to carry out all push and pull operations.
Dumbbell Concentration Curl
Concentration curl is known to give thickness to the biceps by involving the shorter head more and more. While doing this exercise, I have seen too much involvement of shoulders and that shouldn’t be the case. The burn has to be felt on the shorter head and very less on the long head.
How to perform Dumbbell Concentration Curl?
1. Grab a stool or a bench on which you can comfortably sit and your elbows can fully extend without touching the floor.
2. Spread your legs and hold one dumbbell in your left hand.
3. Make sure that your left leg is in line with your body. You can extend your right leg away from your body.
4. Bent a bit with the dumbbell and keep your elbow on your upper thigh of left leg. Make sure that the elbows don’t move.
5. Keep the right hand behind your back or on right knee . This is done to avoid cheating.
6. Slowly curl the dumbbell without moving the elbow. Make sure the elbow doesn’t rise. The movement has to come from forearms. Inhale at this step.
7. Feel the contraction at the top position. Please keep the movement very slow.
8. Hold for 1 second and slowly bring it down. Exhale at this step
9. Repeat with the other hand in the similar fashion described above.
Incline Inner Bicep Dumbbell Curl
The biceps consists of two heads. This exercise targets the long head pretty well. To see the effect , try to reduce the incline after every set. The lower the incline angle, the more burn and stress on the long head of biceps brachii
How to perform Incline Inner Bicep Dumbbell Curl?
1. Grab a incline bench , set it to around 60 degrees.
2. Sit on the bench with dumbbells in both the hands. Make sure your back & head is resting on the bench.
3. Extend both the arms in an outward direction with palms facing up and keep the elbows away from the body.
4. Curl in such a way that the fists are directed to the shoulders. Inhale at this step.
5. Hold for a second when the dumbbells are in line with delts.
6. Slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position and while exhaling.
7. Repeat the reps for the required count.
Incline Hammer Curl
Due to the degree of angle on the incline bench, there is too much of stretch on the long head of the biceps. Taking a neutral grip (holding from center of the dumbbell) increases emphasis on the brachioradialis and brachialis.
How to perform Incline Hammer curl?
1. Grab an incline bench and adjust it to 45 degrees. Make sure your back is comfortably resting on the bench and your feet are stable on the floor.
2. Grab a pair of dumbbells in both hands. Hold them straight down by your sides. See the figure above( Hold them as if you holding a hammer or holding a car steering ) .
3 Start moving both the dumbbells by keeping elbow intact ,Make sure your upper body is not moving. Inhale at this step.
4.Bring the dumbbells towards your face. Inhale at this step.
5.Hold at the top position for some seconds and then lower the dumbbell while exhaling.
6.Repeat for required rep
If you are confused about which is the biceps move you should definitely do? I would recommend Zottman Curl.
While performing this exercise, all of your elbow flexors get hit in one rep. The brachioradialis and the brachialis get hit on the negative rep, and while you curl the weight, the biceps brachii gets hit.
How to perform Zottman curl?
1. Grab a pair of dumbbells & stand with an upright torso .
2. Keep the elbows locked and close to your sides.
3. Hold the dumbbells as if you are doing front raise(start position).Both the hands should be facing each other.
4. Now with your both arms , keeping elbows intact , curl and feel the contraction at your biceps. Inhale while doing .
5. Make sure your hands do attain your shoulder level at peak level of contraction.
6. Hold at this position for one second and rotate your wrist .At this point, your palms would be outward faced (imagine yourself holding dumbbells for shoulder press). Exhale at this point
7. Slowly lower the dumbbells and rotate your wrist until you have your palms facing downwards.
8. Repeat for the advised number of reps.
One Arm Preacher Curl
Preacher curls are a good finishing exercise but I wouldn’t depend on them. By the way, they don’t hit the lower part of the biceps, they hit the brachialis hard.
How to perform One Arm Preacher Curl?
1.Grab a single dumbbell and an incline bench
2. Take dumbbell in one hand and stretch the respective arm on the bench in such a way that your armpits are resting against the top edge of the bench.
3.Please make sure that you are in the center of the bench
4.Keep your other hand at your back or use it to hold the bench as show in the image above.
5.without lifting your elbow , try to curl your biceps. Do inhale at this point.
6.When you reach the peak contraction , hold that position for one-two seconds and while coming back , fully stretch your arms.
7.Complete the reps with one hand and then proceed with another in the similar fashion.
Seated Dumbbell Curl
Seated dumbbell curl is one of the best mass building exercise. This can be performed standing too. It hits both the biceps muscle groups equally hard. I recommend doing it sitting to minimize cheating.
How to perform Seated Dumbbell Curl ?
1.Sit on a bench or simply sit straight on a stool.
2.Grab a pair of dumbbells and hold them close to your body.
3.Keeping your elbows intact, inhale & curl with one hand towards your shoulders.(Image above is a represent of Dumbbell Curl with both hands)
4.Make sure the palms should face you.
5.At the top contraction position rotate your wrist towards your thumb.
6.Slowly lower the dumbbell and exhale.
7.Repeat with the other hand
If you are bored of your regular curls, do pick up any of these and amend on your schedule. I would still stress that Bicep curls (Rod or dumbbell) can’t be replaced but these aid in exercises really come handy.
Try these and let me know your feedback.