Forget grease-laden plates, this vegan fry-up is the answer to all of your weekend (and nutrition) prayers. We’ve swapped the eggs with scrambled chickpeas and made sure your firm favourites have a place on the plate.
Nutrition per serving: kcal: 425, Protein: 17g, Carbs: 52g, Fat: 16g
• 1 tsp. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
• ½ white onion (finely chopped)
• ½ tsp. turmeric
• 150g chickpeas (drained)
• ½ tsp. paprika
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 2 tbsp. hummus
• 4 large flat mushrooms
• 10 vine tomatoes
• 1 avocado (or two if you’re ravenish)
• 2 slices sourdough bread (to be toasted)
1. First, drain the chickpeas, but make sure you keep hold of the brine. Then, pour the chickpeas into a small bowl with 1-2 tbsp. of the brine. Crush the chickpeas with a fork, leaving a few chickpeas whole.
2. Place the coconut oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once melted, turn onto a high heat and add the finely chopped onion and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden.
3. Add the turmeric and paprika to the onions and fry for another 30 seconds while stirring. Then, add the mashed chickpeas and continue to fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir through the hummus, then set aside.
4. Sprinkle the large flat mushrooms with a dash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Now place the mushrooms and tomatoes onto a baking tray and pop them under the grill for 5-7 minutes on a high heat.
5. It’s finally time. Place the components on a plate with sliced avocado(s) and toasted sourdough bread. Tuck in.